If you need an interpreter please call TIS on 131 450. You can also book an interpreter on-line go to the TIS National website: www.tisnational.gov.au
The Community Liaison Unit helps people in the community access the legal services provided by Legal Aid ACT, other legal services in the ACT and non-legal support services.
The Community Liaison Unit can help you by:
- Connecting you with non-legal support services
- Supporting you in dealing with the legal system
- Helping you to understand your legal rights
- Speaking to other services for you
- Working with you to make sure that you feel safe
The Community Liaison Unit consists of an:
- Aboriginal Liaison Officers;
- Cultural Liaison Officers;
- Family Violence Officer;
- FASS Family Advocate;
- Disability Justice Liaison Officer; and
- Migration Clinic.
Our Aboriginal Liaison Officer, Cultural Liaison Officers and Family Violence Officer can help support you in dealing with your legal problem. They can do this by providing you with information on support services and help you to get in touch with them.
Aboriginal Liaison Officers
Our Aboriginal Liaison Officers can help you if you are from an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander background. Our Officers can:
- Support you in dealing with the legal system
- Help you to understand your rights
- Help to connect you with community services, the Aboriginal Legal Service and government agencies.
Phone: 6243 3447
Cultural Liaison Officers
Our Cultural Liaison Officers can help you if you are from a migrant or refugee background. Our Officers can:
- Help you to speak with you lawyer
- Help your lawyer understand your background
- Speak to other services for you
- Help you to understand your rights and the Australian legal system.
Phone: 6243 3410
Phone: 6243 3401
Family Violence Officer
Our Family Violence Officer supports people who are dealing with family violence. Our Officer can:
- Work with you to make sure you feel safe
- Support you while you are dealing with a legal problem
- Help you to connect with other non-legal support services
- Support you while you are in court.
FASS Family Advocate
Our FASS Family Advocate works with men in the family violence space.
Phone: 6243 3429
Disability Justice Liaison Officer
Our Disability Justice Liaison Officer supports people with disability while they are involved in the legal system by:
- Assisting with adjustments that may be needed
- Supporting you with communication while you talk to lawyers
- Explaining legal processes in a way that you can understand
- Support with literacy (completing forms/explaining documentation/documents converted into plain English or easy English)
- Referrals to support and/or advocacy services if needed.
Phone: 6243 3404
For information on our Migration Clinic and other migration services, visit Migration Services.
Community Legal Education
We are happy to come to your organisation or community group and talk about the work we do and how we can help clients of your service or members of your community access Legal Aid ACT. For factsheets and other resources, visit Information and Education.
Download the Community Liaison Unit factsheet here.
Upcoming Training Sessions
Legal Aid ACT is facilitating a range of cultural training's in 2020. The aim of these sessions is to improve cross-cultural awareness and effective communication among lawyers and community workers. For more information on these sessions and to RSVP, visit Eventbrite.